Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mormons in Manhattan


For better or for worse, Manhattan is becoming aware of "the Mormons."

According to the LDS missionaries I saw in Columbus Circle the other day, it's definitely for the better. The two elders were standing next to a prominent signboard which displayed information about the LDS church, trying to talk to people about the Book of Mormon. When I asked them how they felt about The Book of Mormon musical, one elder said, "Honestly, I think it's the best thing that has happened to the Church in a long time. People recognize us, and they're starting to ask questions."

The other elder grinned and pulled out his missionary handbook. Flipping to the back page, he showed me a picture that he'd tucked into the cover. It was a photo of the two elders standing with their arms around the leading actor in The Book of Mormon musical. "He told us that he really admired what we were doing and that he hoped we found success." "Sometimes people think we're part of the Broadway cast," added the first elder. "We've had a lot of people yell: 'Congratulations on all your Tonys!'"

In a sense, every advertisement for The Book of Mormon musical is also an advertisement for the LDS Church. If nothing else, the massive pictures of well-groomed missionaries in white shirts and black name tags are sparking a fad-ish kind of interest in the peculiar people known as "the Mormons." The Church recently launched a huge advertising campaign in Times Square, and the words "I am Mormon" can now be seen on a 20-foot billboard alongside advertisements for Wicked and Mama Mia.

This Mormon girl is witnessing the growing interest in the LDS faith from within her own personal realm. A few days ago at dinner in the residence hall, the conversation turned to The Book of Mormon musical. "Why does everyone seem so interested in seeing that show?" I asked. "It seems unique," said one of the girls. "And it won all those Tonys." When I explained that I was a Mormon myself, and that I was concerned about the way it portrayed members of our church, one girl said, "Oh, I wouldn't worry if I were you. People understand that it's Broadway and that it's written by the creators of South Park. Those guys do whatever they have to do in order to be funny. It's comedy--not reality."

My Mormon standards are also gaining me a reputation at the Strouse house. The other day, Richard Maltby dropped by to work with Charles Strouse, and I was invited to join the brainstorming session. If you've ever heard of the musical Miss Saigon or seen the movie Miss Potter, then you'll be impressed when I tell you that Richard is the writer of both. If not, you'll just have to take my word for it: He's a big deal. He and Charles are currently working on a new musical adaptation of the literary trilogy North and South. Charles had finished a new piece for the musical, and Richard (who doesn't read music) asked if I would play it through for him. "No offense, Charles," he said, "but you're not a very good pianist. It's always two notes and a %*!@ followed by two more notes and a &^$(!" Charles, who can have a rather foul mouth himself at times, looked genuinely stricken. "Erica doesn't understand all that!" he said. "She's a very pure young woman." :-)

Just sitting in the room with those two great minds, listening to their caustic banter and watching them fling around ideas was quite the experience. I tried jumping into the middle of things with as much self-confidence as I could muster, and when Richard found out that I was working on a musical myself, he asked me to send him some demo tracks. "I'd love to hear what you've been working on." he said. "So would I!" said Charles. "Jewel, help me clear some space on my computer so I can listen to Erica's files. . ." As we left the Strouse's apartment, Richard and I chatted a bit, and it sounds like he would be open to offering me a more long-term working arrangement in the future. There was a definite bounce in my step as I headed home after that conversation.

For the first time in my life, I'm realizing that my unique hodge-podge of skills might eventually be profitable! People actually want what I do. Sure, I've always composed out of a love of music and a desire to uplift others, but to think that somebody might actually be willing to PAY me for doing that? It's a new and interesting idea. And to think that there's actually a way of bringing together all the things that I love (music, theater, composing, writing) in a professional setting? It's almost too perfect. Because I have a solid background in classical composition with just enough stage performing/writing experience to make me theatrically-savvy, it seems I'm a rarer breed than the theater gurus who know just enough about music to make it on Broadway. Manhattan has become a sort of dreamland for me this summer where even my craziest artistic wishes might eventually be granted. I don't think there's any other place in the country--or in the world, really--where that could happen.

I'm also realizing that people actually want my skills as a piano teacher! If I could, without annoying my friends, I'd probably spend most of my time babbling on about music theory and trying to convert every new acquaintance to the joys of classical music. When I realize that I'm getting paid to do just that every time I teach a piano lesson, I'm always amazed. The best payment of all is watching the dawning comprehension and excitement in my students' faces as something clicks into place for the first time. That's the magic of music--of creation in general. I'm a fairy godmother granting people's musical wishes, and I'm getting paid for the job!

From what I can gather, The Book of Mormon musical seems to imply that Mormons choose to live a Disney-like dream by simply ignoring reality. Maybe that's a half-truth. Mormons don't ignore reality; in fact, most of us try to clear away distractions so we can see things as they truly are in a pretty level-headed way. We do, however, choose to focus on potential--to demand the best of people and circumstances and to consciously build up a better world. In that sense, then, maybe life can be like a big, happy musical. And why not? When a person enjoys the self-respect that comes from staying true to his/her beliefs and from involving himself/herself passionately in the good and the uplifting, what's to keep such a person from bursting out into song from time to time? Beneath all the heartache and frustration, there's an undercurrent of faith and stability in the life of a Mormon. Life is a journey into eternity, and heck, we Mormons believe in enjoying that ride!

17 comments:

Troy Bailey said...

Oh Erica, it sounds like your having the time of your life and living your dreams. Congratulation! What makes this more enjoyable to read is knowing that you will use each of your experiences to build Gods kingdom.

Nate Mullins said...

It sounds like your pretty busy. and working hard. if whatever field your going into does not work out, your an excellent writer.

Sali-Kai said...

When I was on my mission a new companion told me, "It's like you're living in a musical!" because I was always breaking into song!! HA! What a life you're leading right now!! ENJOY!!

Sharlee said...

The Mormons Take Manhattan!! I love it that the missionaries in NYC are being congratulated on all their Tonys. :-) And didn't you say that they're giving away more copies of the Book of Mormon than ever before? That people are actually coming up to them and requesting copies? I think your friend at the residence hall makes a good point. Most people who are seeing the musical are considering the source and aren't viewing it as a realistic depiction of the church and/or the missionary program. Jumping topics, I am so jealous that you got to have a tete a tete with Charles Maltby! Miss Potter is one of my favorite films of all time. (Question: Does everything he writes start with "Miss"?) Finally, I love that your "hodge podge" of skills and gifts has found a true home. Finally finally, I love YOU! Onward, dear one.

Erica said...

Troy and Nate: Thanks! Aunt Kai: You and I are kindred spirits. Mama: As always, your proposed title is better than mine. ;-) Thanks for being my best cheerleader! Oh, and it's *Richard* Maltby. XOXO

Sharlee said...

Ah, but I was just being efficient and combining Charles Strouse and Richard Maltby. You met with them both, right? Hence, a tete a tete with Charles and Maltby, a.k.a. Charles Maltby! :-)

A Mitton said...

Loved this post. And so funny that the missionaries get congratulated for Tonys, haha. But really, it doesn't surprise me that the musical is having such an effect on missionary work.

Aunt Laynie said...

It must be in the genes - I was well known in college for my ability to recognize a song in almost every comment and sing both it and my response! I appreciate your insider's view on the response to "The Book of Mormon" musical. I think of what President Hinkley said back in 1999 “I am pleased to report that the Church is better known and better understood. Generally the media have been kind to us. They have dealt honestly with us. There are exceptions, of course, and this we regret. The old images of the past continue to be dragged forth by those who deal in sensationalism and exploitation. But television images fade almost immediately with the tremendous amount of information given. Yesterday’s newspaper is soon forgotten. Meanwhile the Church goes forward on its appointed mission in the direction of its appointed destiny” (Ensign May, 1999)
Ah, to be young and free again! Have fun but BE SAFE!!
Love you,

Erica said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I just realized that, in my last paragraph, I used the pronoun "she" which made it sound like I'm touting myself as someone who's all righteous and self-respecting and productive. Oops! I probably should have used "one" or "he" instead of "she," but "one" sounds too stuffy, and I hate just defaulting to "he. . ."

Okay--fixed it.

Anyway, I wasn't bragging about myself! I was just trying to describe the hypothetical ideal Mormon (be that a he or a she). . .

Carolina Nightingale said...

Erica! Wow!! One more example of what man might mean for evil being used by God for good.... and a remarkable one, at that. So awesome!

And your little tete a tete-- are you freaking KIDDING ME!!! ASTONISHING! DO you have any idea how many people (at least, of those I know) are screaming right now not to be in your shoes? Granted, they were probably all envious of your talent to begin with and shouldn't be mentioned, but hey! (strangely, I do know more than one or two people who write musicals, I even know more than one who writes GOOD musicals. Yourself included, lol)

I am SO excite for you. These are remarkable things. And if there's anyone who, eventually, can chance the face of the American musical, it's a Glen!- (Heather Bergevin here, btw, hiding out under my gmail address...)

Karen W Della Corte said...

Erica, good for you for being such an example of the believers. You are full of so much talent and enthusiasm! You are able to make a big difference. I read about the Mormon musical in Time magazine and was worried about what kind of bad attention that would bring the church but I'm relieved to hear that it has had the reverse affect!
I'm happy to hear you have found so much success and happiness in Manhattan, you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

I simply love you Erica. Thanks for writing your perspective on the effects of TBOM musical. I trust your voice.

I am thrilled, THRILLED to read that you are finding a way to use your unique talents. Music is so powerful and we need someone like you to write the next great batch of musicals. I am so grateful the you have found people who are taking interest in your work and I pray for your success.

My sister and I just finished a screenplay: it's a modern version of Jane Austen's Persuasion and our main characters are singer/songwriters. I'll be vain and tell you it's really, really good-- funny and beautiful and romantic. It's been an intimidating project and most people think I'm joking when I tell them about it, but my sister and I have been amazed at the way we've felt the Spirit while writing our scenes and dialogue. I believe there is a real need for entertainment that is bright and happy and uplifting. So wish us luck on selling it! Our dream producer is Walden Media who did Ramona and Beezus, The Narnia movies and Amazing Grace.

Thank you, thank you for writing. We love classical music at our house too and I've shared your links with my violinist/violist sons.

Wow, that was a long comment. Forgive me.

allen. said...

it seems that the musical is drawing so much attention to the church because it is a *fairly* accurate representation! i wish i could be in new york to experience all this sensationalism going around.

"hasa diga ebowai!"

Erica said...

Thanks for your support, everybody. :-) Michelle: I'll be crossing my fingers that you can get your screenplay into the hands of the right people at the right time. I'd love to see that produced! Good luck.

CailinMarie said...

Hi. I stopped by after someone linked this post to a post that Heather O wrote over at Mormon Mommy Wars. http://www.mormonmommywars.com/?p=2449
I like your post, and your energy, and your perspective. I hope things continue to go well for you in NYC!

Ruth said...

I came over from mormonmommywars too. Yesterday I began teaching piano to two girls, 11 and 12. I am amazed at how clueless I am about encouraging kids to play the piano. I loved practicing. How do you do it? Give them plenty of songs and numbers of repetitions? If you have a short moment, I'd appreciate any ideas ruthwheel@gmail.com.

Erica said...

Cailin and Ruth: Thanks so much for visiting my blog! And Ruth, while I don't have a magic formula for making kids fall in love with practicing the piano, I do think it helps to make the experience fun. If actual practice sessions can be made immediately enjoyable, the child will gradually discover the deeper, more delayed joys of learning an instrument. You might try making a practice chart, rewarding them with treats/stickers, allowing them to build up "points" through good practicing, etc. I used to have a "point shop" at the end of each month where students could spend their points on treats and small toys. Group lessons and recitals also give students something to get excited about and work towards. Hope that helps a little? Good luck!!!