Monday, July 18, 2011

Russian Club

(IZZIE)

Apparently, there's a Russian Club in Group One at the Sweet Soul Camp this session.

SHHHHH!!! It's top-secret (or so little Izzie will tell you with her finger pressed urgently to her lips).

This club is so carefully-hidden that only the most persistent and creative adult members of our secret intelligence have managed to penetrate its inner circle. I am one of those privileged few. Thanks to my knowledge of the Russian language (a language shrouded in mystery and intrigue), I have become the first person above the age of five to be inducted into the actual Russian Club.

Here's how it happened: Late last week, I sauntered up nonchalantly to Isadora (alleged head of said organization), and whispered, "Привет. Можно говорить с тобой?" ("Hello. May I speak with you?") Hardly blinking, Izzie replied under her breath, "Mila and Gabby speak Russian too. . .BUT NO ONE CAN KNOW. Don't say anything to anyone but us."

So I found Mila and Gabby and asked, "Вы меня понимаете? Я по русски говорю!" ("Do you understand me? I speak Russian!"). The twins looked skeptical. They responded (which meant that they must have understood my Russian!), but they didn't seem to believe that I really knew their language until I started singing a children's song from the Russian version of Mary Poppins ("Тридцать три коровы, свежая страка. . ."). Then their eyes lit up and they giggled.

I guess those giggles signify my official acceptance to the club. I'm in! Now don't spoil it by spreading this confidential information. (I know our secret will be safe with you. . .)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

super cute

Yuri said...

intriguing. Russian kids in a secret organization. What happens in this secret club?

Katherine said...

this is your first step towards being inducted into the Russian Mafia

Erica said...

Ha, ha. . .

ww said...

I think it's a bit sad that they don't want anyone to know they speak Russian...

Erica said...

They're not ashamed of speaking Russian; they just love having a secret club as all kids do. :)

Sharlee said...

Is that a secret Russian club sign you're giving? :-)

Anonymous said...

did you hear? We will be in NYC the same time as your family and staying in the exact same hotel. Eeek! We can't wait to see you. And be prepared for a LOT of giddy silliness.

Erica said...

Michelle: I *did* hear, and I'm so excited! :-) And don't worry; I THRIVE on giddy silliness.